Sunday, April 06, 2008

Glass and Craft Bead Expo






This blog post could reflect the fun, friviality and mahame conjured up of a Vegas trip but really we were calm...My sister and I headed to our fourth Glass and Craft Expo in Vegas. And one night we were in bed by 9. I'm such a wuss....I know she would be up for bit more partying but her younger “stick in the mud” sister is all about precaution, preparation and prevention. I was using my anti-bacterial gel constantly and washing my hands, all the while trying to seek out anything resembling “real food.” Thank goodness for the Seattle's Best, bran muffins, freakin delish. Mind you I'm not totally innocent...we wopped it up...between 7 and 9:30, what...? Whatever, we had classes to go to and WHATEVER. Thats just me...Plus this trip was different than previous trips. Before we stayed on the Strip and really made the most of walking around, seeing and experiencing the sights. Not so much this time, we stayed at the South Point “off, off Strip.” One day I didn't even go out side, once. But the classes were on the most part, good.
The Feng Shui class, that I was the most excited for, was a complete bust. (note: taking a Feng Shui class from a man named: Stew G oldman, may have been my first clue) The instructor was having some mental issues and as a class progressed, we slowly watched him desinergrate in front of us, talking about how all he wanted was to go back to the time in Japan, during the war, when he was 23, buff and in power....then we heard about his 7 marriages...and that he really didn't believe in Feng Shui ...frake, whelp that was a bust. I requested a full refund, I'll wait and see.
My Internet Marketing class was really a combo of a 6 hour commercial for this womans Web Design services and how most people screw up trying to do websites themselves. Another disappointment, if I knew the class was limited to Web design, I would have made another choice. However, my sissy and I travel well together and entertain ourselves.
The best class for me was a bubble class. The instructor was possessed to teach us as much as possible in the seven hour class, plus we came out of the class with nine pieces, some air brush experience and the option to try a mold making medium too. These are the only samples that I made but I'm pretty impressed with the experience. And I feel like I know a number of different ways to create bubbles in my glass work, including using laudry detergent and the paint should be mixed with denatured alcohol and Mountain Dew for best results. Glass People are a little twisted!
Then there was the gambling, again...if some people live LARGE...I'm a proponent for living: small to Medium....yeah, I rule on the penny machines, hell they still bring you free drinks to the penny machine too! We found the Star Wars machine and two nights in a roll, Kathy and I rocked to Chewbackahs roar, Xwing fliers, and Darth himself...oh yeah there was Cloud City and Jedi training...we just sat and giggled like little girls. Thoroughly entertained and usual coming out with more money than we started with...of course those winnings could only be counted in Pennys :D
Note games not to play: Lotus Flower, SeaMonkeys, Shake your Booty, Dam Lumbeerjack Beavers and that Gem tile game ....
As for the Expo itself, the shopping was overwhelming: I bought some highly saturated color paper that can be cut and sandwiched with clear that is really spectacular. I bought a sample pack of bubble powder...see samples, again really cool. I bought dichro decals, gold and platinum and Edda-three new drill bits (the right size) yeahhhhh!
So unless they move the Expo to Reno, I think I'll need a year break before returning...but all in all a good experience. Love my snoring Sister and coming home (frack my plane doesn't even get to Vegas for another hour) will be a thrill.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

DANG about the faux feng shui wannabee. AND the internet sales!!! Boo.

But, I know you still had fun and most importantly, you were IN YOUR ELEMENT. Yay!

I can't wait to see what comes out of this -- love the glass you posted here!!!

lOB!!

Anonymous said...

hey!! watch the snoring sister stuff tee hee. lob bb