Saturday, September 13, 2008

sometime you don't know where the day will take you....






today Rich had rented a excavator to continue the work on the front yard. We started last night with prep work, planting stakes, measuring heights for the walkway, diggin up bulbs...all the while Rich's creative juices running ideas, plans and vision...he has vision of plans that I'll never have. So while the sprinklers ran, to soften the dirt for the digging the following day, we unwound by watching Enchanted, goofy Disney movie...can I stop and talk about Disney as it has a cherished place in my heart...no matter how jaded I am, I can still be struck by the start up of the music, so many Sunday nights being swept away by Sleeping Beauty,Bambi, 101 Dalmations and the Aristocats...so I just thought this was a silly movie but got mesmerized by the magic...even at 42. Great movie, for young and old(young at heart.)

So Sat morning woke up begrudgingly and Rich headed off to pick up Mark and Mason and the tractory thing. And I was industrious while he was gone, pick axe and dirt...I started work. I thought my day would be filled with it. But things don't always work out the way you plan. Mark and Mason are great team but as plans turned out, Mason's friend Evelyn joined us. They are a pair, born from the same pod somewhere...I had friends like that growing up. Chris and Jon Takach and Stephanie Shipway...we fished together, played hide and seek in the avacado trees, chased chickens...we were a crew. But these two were precious. Although Mason works well with Mark , today he seemed more like sticking in the house. And he and Evelyn wanted to hang with me. This left the men to work which was ok but really I thought I'd be slogging beside them. Apparently I had other duties...since we had Enchanted I set it up for the kids, Mason had seen it before but Evelyn hadn't...and what young girl could say no to princesses and princes. So I tried to work on some Work training that I had, so I was close by but not too close. Mason wanted to warn Evelyn every time some big, scary or intense scene was coming in the movie...so cewt. But ultimately I found my way to my room to focus on my studies...but they are just so comfortable with each other. Different than siblings-better.they were so content to sit side by side watching, being absorbed in the movie. Then the movie was over and they wanted to be entertained...reluctantly I sucumbed. We wound up playing "Go Fish." It sounds so simple but it was precious to me. Life's simple pleasures can still warm the cockles on my heart. Eating Goldfish, Dots (remember Dots) and laughing.

Then we were invited to Anna's for a visit with her parents. Bart and Maya (sp?) were in from So Cal and chilling in Sac. The last time we met Bart was like 20 years ago and he remembered us. A breakfast at Carrow's a million years ago...pictures to prove it! But Anna had invited some close friends for yummy Zelda's pizza. It was a great crew of spirit. Beers and Pizza, art, politics, Project Runway, sunless tanning and family were all discussed. It was great exchange of thoughts, energy and love-Anna is lucky to be loved by special people. We are lucky to be invited along for the ride.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Love love love Mark's and Mason's matching outfits -- precious! Oh, I mean, handsome and manly!

Brenda said...

p.s., there is something about Saturday evenings and Disney, isn't there? We're showing our age, I mean experience, but what memories from being a kid, the Saturday night bath and clothes being prepared for church Sunday morning, and hearing the Disney music coming on, and settling on the carpet in front of the TV with the bros (my parents must have cherished that hour of our undivided attention on something other than mischief!!!)!

That was a great memory. :)