Thursday, August 21, 2008

Another art baby released to the universe...



Its hard being an aspiring artist. But harder still is asking if others see "your vision"...and ultimately paying for that vision. This time it was all on me. I have finished the piece for my hair salon, after four months of work and I had an appointment today. I packed the piece this morning knowing what the end of the day held for me. Would the owner be there, would he be available, would he listen...would he see the vision? Armondo, owner of Salon 701, is an avid art collector, a savvy connoisseur and dare I say, daring with his art choices in the Salon. So my heart was palpitating in my throat when I walked in...he's there, check, he's available..oh the phone rang..ok now he's off the phone, ok Kris...nows the time: do or die. So I walk up and say that I had a business proposition for him and if he gave me a moment I'd be right back. I run/fly to my car and return. His attitude to me is, "what is she doing...? cold call, who is she..." mind you I've been going to this salon for two years and he helped me when my car was broken into. But I told him I created this specifically for the salon, it conveyed the feel and style of the salon and (a little butt kissing) told him I knew he knew art and could appreciate a struggling artist. Then the final nail was my expectations...I told him that all I could ask is that if anyone asked about the piece to refer me. He was cool at first but really warmed to the struggle of hanging a glass piece verses the risk of putting it on the counter, with the potential for breakage. He enjoyed seeing it in the sunlight but ultimately put it up (out of the way) right under Buddha (giant, like 4 feet high). Then I got a hug and he's not a huggy guy. So all butterflies from my belly gone and I've released my art out to the universe. Its weird, I feel the absence but also a hope for a future where I can do this for a living.

The other piece was inspired by our neighbor, Nelson. He has health issues but tries to stay on track with yoga and meditation. I gave him the piece yesterday and I think he was truly touched....let go and wish!

1 comment:

Brenda said...

What a super score! Yay for you! I'm so so proud! I am totally confident that you WILL do this for a living -- you're so incredibly talented. Mwah!