Sunday, March 16, 2008

Hack, snork, sneeze....what was planned may not turn out






So besides that fact that I have a snorky cold now...our weekend plans feel through in a way but turned 360 degrees around. So, here was the plan, Friday: O'dark thirty...get up...take Kris to Train station for 6:20 train,...Kris to work in Oakland and Rich would survive another board meeting and leave work by 1. Then he would drive down to Oakland to pick me up...since Santa Cruz was our goal. We had signed up with Absolute Adventures for a Kayak Whale Watching tour. We Were Stoked!!!...So Rich picks me up and we are in transit, noting the dark clouds, wind and on/off rain and we get the call, the trip is rescheduled. SH*T! We have Aunt Sue, our Pet Sitter Supreme watching the homefront, killar hotel lined up...we had no other choice. So we continue on to Pacific Street for yummies at Vida's. I had eaten there before with Anna and Sherril and had such a good meal, I'd been waiting two years to go back. Plus it was Happy Hour and our spirits needing lifting! We consumed three appetizers and split a salad (my fav kinda meal) and some margaritas...so we were feeling a bit more Santa Cruzy by the end of it. We ventured into some of my fav.s stores before heading to our luxury accommodations: Chaminade. Its not beach front but up in the hills with the eucalyptus and pine trees. We dropped our bags, drank in the room and headed back down to meet our friends. We had the priviledge of visiting with Brian and Kris who live in Santa Cruz. Always great to catch up with friends and plan our next adventure together. Brian is our long time friend and we are so glad he found a friend like Kris...but the last time we were with them (at least with me there) was sharing a meal at Phil's Fish Shack, at Elk Horn Slough...one of my top 5 meals in my life!!! So I'm thrilled they want to return and kayak the slough...cause I know where we are eating afterwards!!!!!!!!

So by the end of the night, we collapsed in our downy soft bed and crashed until roomservice showed up with breakfast...it was kinda nice not to have rush. So plan B for us was a Surf Kayak competition. We picked up Brian....dragged him to a glass store (sorry bri) and off to the competition. Now we love all kinds of kayaking and were totally game, but it was raining...then hailing but in spite of it all we still found two geocaches and had a great time. Brian then took us to a yummy lunch where we again, snorked....by this time I was starting the downhill path into coldy. Rich drove us home and I slept. Then we traded at Vacaville where I drove and he slept...its a long drive. Then we unpacked the car and crashed again, this time is the most luxurious bed, our own! Today I'm a waste, but Rich has the kiln going...he did the farmers market after the damn Food Net. work's inspiration. The best part of the trip is knowing we get to do it again and have our Kayak adventure.

4 comments:

Brenda said...

oh no!!! I've been waiting to see how your weekend turned out ... so sorry, boo!

Anonymous said...

Dammit I wish I had your energy. My weekend was as per usual. Errands, Grocery shopping, cleaning, walking dogs. Blah.

Brenda said...

so you still had your weekend, yay! I'm with LoriO...

Anonymous said...

You write very well.