Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Thankfully Rich made us bring walking sticks...think I'd still be up there without mine

























































Sunday I convinced Rich to hike the Stebbins Cold Canyon (http://www.berryessatrails.org/guide/trailguide/coldcan.htm) trail at Lake Berryessa. Mind you, I have the familiar knowledge of the trail as I went with friend, Lynn back in September. Apparently it takes just about 4 months to forget...but this trail is BRUTAL. My confession is I think I wanted Rich to experience the trail just to know what I went through. Because if there was one thing that I don't do well it is rock scrambling.

You start in the valley...a casual stroll along the stream. Quickly the environment turns cold with tree canopy and the stairs/train ties start. Then come the switch backs and you climb, the initial ascent was 1200 feet. I was the one dogging the trail...huffing and puffing. Rich was stoic but little did he know, that this wasn't the hardest part. After an hour and a half we reached the top of the ridge. It is a stunning visit point...but you see ahead the ridge goes higher. You walk/hike at least a mile along the ridge. Once you reach one crest, you are only gifted with another one even higher. There were times where you are on all fours scrambling across boulders on the edge of a 200 foot cliff. I think its like the 7th crest that is the final one and again the view of the lake, Winters and way off in the distance Sacramento is truly amazing.

Coming down the ridge was scarier due to the descent being covered in clay mud. So from the top being at 1500 feet...coming down fast was not an option. You picked each step carefully and with forethought. Initially I told Rich that the total hike should be like an hour and a half...I was wrong...we were out there 3 hours. By the end, the endorphins filled us with pride and joy. Plus we were thrilled we survived. I mean Rich didn't strangle me :D

2 comments:

marckfive said...

Sooo glad you keep finding ways to challenge us..never stop..but I am NOT skydiving.......

Brenda said...

Wow - love your storytelling skills! And so glad to read about it vs. experience it! :D