Sunday, March 29, 2009

in touch with my roots





Saturday (after a long nap) we headed up to the Placerville fairgrounds for our next adventure into car racing. This time it was sprint and midget cars on a dirt track.

While growing up my brother, Ken drag raced. In the late 70's, in Southern Cal, drag racing was all the rage...and given that my Dad was a professional motorcycle racer for a while... he so loved the idea of Ken racing. nooooo my dad wasn't living through my brothers youth...noooo. Then my next brother, Rick took up speedway, flat track riding and after that speedboat racing. So needless to say, racing is in my blood...a fact I did not share with Rich during our first 20 years together....I've eased into it.

So begrudginly I went last night, now knowing how I really felt about going, only to find out I actuallly loved sprint car racing. In comparison to the indy racing, this was pure adrenaline pumping, gas fumes smelling, men in ripped off sleeve shirts and super crazy fun racing. Not that I'm an expert but I know what I liked and I liked it! Oh and the wrecks, spectacular....flames included! Brian Hollaway, we have biten by the bug and truely enjoyed ourselves last night. And look at Blake, a son to be proud of during the National Anthem.

And I followed last nights events with a true flashback to my childhood... a breakfast of a Spamscrabble!!! Happy Happy!

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Hot and spicy spam? Eeeps. I didn't know about your racy past!!! Sounds like you had a ball and that's all that matters! :D